An association of Aerographers & Mates,
Meteorologists & Oceanographers

NWSA Pensacola Chapter


President:                   Ed Straten

Secretary/Treasurer:  Pat O'Brien


Chapter News

Source: Aerograph November 2021

Pat and Libby O'Brien have been busy traveling.  They drove east to Pooler, GA, to attend the 46th Reunion of the NWSA.  Pat says, "It was one great reunion, and to those who missed it, you missed a great one."  Our hats are off to Jim and Rosalie Romano for arranging this venue and all the work that was necessary to make it happen.  As is the case with most NWSA Reunions, the weather did not want to cooperate. Our trip into Savannah in open-air buses could have been a wet one, but for some unbeknownst reason, the rain stopped as we left the motel.  Could have been great timing or great planning; not sure which, but we accepted it gratefully. The rainy weather did cause the golf tournament to be cancelled, and it did rain on the day we visited the 8th Air Force Museum, but we were inside.  If you are ever in Pooler, Ga, Pat highly recommends visiting this museum, a great deal of history there worth discovering.  Following the reunion, the O'Briens headed back to Pensacola in the rain.  Some extremely heavy rain had Pat wishing he had chosen another route.  On arriving in Pensacola, Pat began getting ready for another trip.  He and eleven other guys went over to Gulf Shores, AL, for a three-day golf outing.  Libby and her daughter, Teresa, worked in Libby's front flower bed while Pat played golf.  Nice planning Pat.  He says he was really impressed with all they accomplished.  The very next week the O'Briens left for San Antonio, TX, to attend the 24th USS Nimitz Association Reunion.  They spent a week on the Riverwalk.

Jim Futtner was there, and he and Pat walked a couple of miles along the river, in the dark, each morning.  Jim's an early riser and a dedicated walker.  He's walked every day for 560 consecutive days.  Pat welcomes all the AGs who served aboard Nimitz to join him and Jim at future reunions.  The next scheduled Nimitz Association Reunion is a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami in the fall of 2022.


Ed and Patti Straten had the most wonderful reunion in Savannah and would like to thank everyone involved and everyone who attended. BZ to Joe Romano and his lovely wife Rosalie for hosting such an excellent event!


Their 40th Anniversary cruise on the Celebrity Edge was a wonderful experience. First time back on a ship since the Covid closed them down. Their next cruise will be a back to back Caribbean in November, and they will be joined by their daughter, Kim, and her husband John.


Looking forward to the Christmas holidays, including our annual Christmas party hosted this year by Larry and Nancy Warrenfeltz!

Pictures below include 40th anniversary on the Celebrity Edge and at National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force. Our hopes and wishes to all for a safe, healthy and wonderful 2022!

Click Images to Enlarge

Source: Aerograph August 2021

The Pensacola Chapter held its June meeting at Vallartas Mexican Restaurant. Those in attendance included: Ed & Patti Straten, Larry & Nancy Warrenfeltz, Pat & Libby O'Brien, Paul Belt and  Gerrie Marsh.

The meeting was called to order at 1310.  The minutes from the 19 March meeting were read and approved.
The treasurer reported no change to the treasury since March; no expenditures and no deposits.

Pat O'Brien reported he heard from Rose Frasier.  Rose says, "Hi" and says she and Arthur are really enjoying their new residence in Ocala, Florida.  Pat also reported that Elspeth Lloyd would not be attending today because something she ate yesterday had disagreed with her.  Know that feeling.  Damn.  Pat also heard from Gene Witsman.  Gene says to say, "Hi", and he has a request.  He wants to know if we can have a meeting on a Tuesday or Thursday instead of Friday.  Gene lives in Fort Walton Beach and has doctors' appointments on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  All present agreed to having our next meeting on Thursday, 9 September.  Pat also reported he received a message from our national President, Jim Romano, about hotel registration problems at
the Best Western in Savannah.  If problems are incurred, he says to ask for Eddie.

Our last bit of business was to select a place for our next meeting.  After a lengthy discussion, we decided to go
with The Grand Marlin at Pensacola Beach.

Meeting adjourned at 1340.

Pat and Libby O'Brien have had restricted travel due to COVID, but did manage an early summer trip to Virginia Beach, Niantic, CT, and Hartford, CT, to visit with family and friends.  Pat drove and Libby navigated.  The trip totaled 3,302 miles.  Pat says he doesn't know whether he has any more trips like this one in him.  He says he isn't getting any younger.  Pat and Libby got to see their youngest grandson, Logan, graduate from Ocean Lakes High School in Virginia Beach.  He graduated on a Friday and joined the labor force on Monday.  While in Virginia Beach we met up with CDR Chuck Streinbruck and his lovely bride Louise for lunch at a wonderful Italian Restaurant. It was so good to see them and reminisce about old times and reunions.  They are hoping to make the Savannah Reunion. After a few more days in Virginia Beach, Pat and Libby headed up to Niantic, Ct, to visit with Pat's daughter, Kelly, and her family.  Four members of the O'Brien clan followed them up.  It made for a great vacation for everyone, He and Libby got to spend a couple of days with Jim Futtner in Hartford.  Pat reports Jim is doing well, and saysJim will be attending the reunion in Savannah.  Pat hasn't been able to play golf in the last two months due to trigger fingers on both hands.  Both ring fingers required out-patiensurgery.  Libby has had to deal with a knee problem.  She's taking meds and is scheduled for an MRI at some point this month.  While in Connecticut, she
and Pat attended the PGA event in Hartford.  Pat doesn't think all the walking there helped her knee.  Pat had hoped to see Bryson DeChambeau at the tournament, but that didn't happen.  Their route around the course didn't intersect with his.  Damn the bad luck.  Bernie Bauer, Libby, and Pat continue their support of the Pensacola Ice Flyers (ice hockey) and Pensacola Blue Wahoos (baseball) teams.  Pat reports Bernie is doing well.  Bernie told Pat he was prescribed a medication for a thyroid issue, and this is the first prescription drug he's ever had to take.

Nancy and Larry Warrenfeltz took advantage of their vaccinated freedom with a 17-day East Coast circumnavigation in June. From Pensacola to Kill Devil Hills NC to Pennsylvania to Wildwood Crest, NJ — then back home to Florida. They enjoyed a beach reunion with some of Nancy’s family in NC, then headed north to see two granddaughters perform in Seussical the Musical Jr.. From there it was “down to the shore” for a weekend in their son’s new beach condo before heading back south.  See photos below: 

L: With grandsons on the Outer Banks   R: At “Seussical the Musical” (maybe the last of the mandatory mask events?)

Pat got word from Gerrie Marsh that Elspeth Lloyd had fallen and broken her pelvis.  Pat also  heard through the grapevine Bruce Glaes has moved in with his son.  Bruce continues his battle with the effects of the stroke he suffered months ago.  Please keep Bruce and Elspeth in your prayers.  

Rose and Arthur Frazier have been busy as usual with doctor appointments and metal detecting. Arthur had back surgery to clean out an area in his lower back to relieve some pressure on his nerves. They have also been out metal detecting and learning their new detectors. 
Rose won both of hers and Arthur got a new one. They also made a trip to Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas to visit grandkids and other members of the family in June. In August, they will celebrate their 25th anniversary aboard the Carnival Mardi Gras with some good friends. Life in their community is picking up rapidly and they are enjoying it and making lots of new friends.

Ed and Patti Straten have been busy!  Patti traveled to New Hampshire to attend a mini-class reunion.  Mini because many of those from out of state were reluctant to travel due to the virus.  But Patti had fun seeing all the old classmates again.  While in New Hampshire,  Patti visited her son Craig and his wife, Melissa. She was also lucky enough to catch grandson Ryan's football playoff game as well as granddaughter Jordan's dance recital.  She also attended several cookouts and parties.  Due to the no travel restrictions, it had been many years since she saw many of her friends and family.  Pattie then flew to Ohio where Ed was involved with his family reunion.  This group included about 50 family members from several states.  Hugs, love, and laughter made it wonderful to be together  again.  Life is good.  The Stratens' 40th wedding anniversary is in August and will be celebrated aboard the Celebrity Edge.  They can hardly wait to start cruising again.  They wish everyone a happy and joy filled summer and hope to see many of you come October in Savannah!

Source: Aerograph May 2021

The Pensacola Chapter met at the Fin and Fork Restaurant on March 19th. Those in attendance included Larry & Nancy Warrenfeltz, Ed & Patty Straten, Ken & Barbara Overholt, Pat & Libby O'Brien, and Paul Belt. Ed Straten relieved Larry Warenfeltz as president of the chapter, and Pat O'Brien retained his position as sec/treasurer. The Chapter didn't meet in December due to the fear of contacting COVID-19.The next NWSA Reunion in Savannah, GA, was discussed, and eight of those present said they would be attending. Following the meeting, we had a very nice dinner. Our next meeting is scheduled for June 4th at Vallartas Mexican Restaurant located off 9 Mile Road.

Pat & Libby O'Brien continue to stay busy even with the presence of COVID.  Pat contacted it in February.  He knows not where.  However, one night at dinner he told Libby he'd better go get tested.  She said, "Why."  He said, "I haven't tasted anything I've eaten."  Of course, the test came back positive, and he was quarantined at home for two weeks.  The lack of taste lasted far longer, but he reports all is well now.  Libby stayed with Pat throughout his quarantine, and she never contracted the virus.  She did get tested, and the results came back negative.  It's strange how this virus works. The O'Briens continue to play golf when the weather permits it.  In March, they traveled down to Bradenton, FL, to be with Pat's daughter,  Kelly, and her family.  The family 
came from Connecticut,  New York City, Boston, and Washington, D.C.  They were happy to experience warmer weather.  In April, Libby's grandson, granddaughter and their families came down from Indiana to Pensacola Beach.  Libby was in heaven having her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren all together for a week.  Pat and his oldest son, Patrick, get together every Tuesday and go fishing.  They rent pedal kayaks
from N.A.S. Pensacola and fish in Bayou Grande.  The Blue Angels practice their aerial maneuvers every Tuesday morning over the base, so Pat and Patrick  get to see them every week.   Pat has a 3-day GOGO (Guys Only Golf Outing) in April at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama.  Later in April, he and Libby will travel up to Callaway Gardens in Georgia for a week.  Pat stays in touch with Jim Futtner via email and an occasional phone call.  Pat reports he is doing okay.  His family is close by and keep him pretty busy.  He is still working 1 or 2 days a week at his local  funeral home.  Pat also got word that Bruce Glaes' doctor told him he suffered a mini stroke. Bruce says he feels almost normal, but he has problems remembering words that tie
together sentences, and typing anything coherent is difficult.  Pat heard from one other shipmate, Dennis Ruth.  Dennis was in AG "A" School when Pat was an instructor. Dennis found a couple of old pictures he thought Pat would get a kick out of The pics showed Pat, Dennis and a number of other basketball players having a discussion at courtside.  There was another team picture that includes Paul Lyon.  Pat thanked Dennis for making him feel really OLD.  Dennis will undergo heart surgery in April.  Please keep him, Jim, and Bruce in your prayers.  Pat and Libby see Bernie Bauer at Pensacola Ice Flyers' ice hockey games.  He is doing well.  Bernie is ready for the baseball season to get underway.  Pensacola has been without baseball for quite awhile due to COVID19. 

Larry Warrenfeltz says he has nothing to report as it's pretty boring at the Warrenfeltz house (unless you want to talk high school softball).  

Ed and Patty Straten have been wowed by this last year.  They want 2020 to rest in peace as we move forward with dreams of health and the freedom to mingle with our NWSA members with the opportunity to travel and meet new friends.  Ed and Patti are loving life in the condo they bought last October. Ed has spent time painting the condo in Patti’s favorite colors. And they relax in the pools, beach and hot tub without stress and mowing lawns. After cancelled cruises and trips all last year, they are hoping for their Caribbean Cruise next November, road trips to see family in NH and Ohio, and, of course, the NWSA October Reunion in Savannah!  Below is a picture of Ed and Patty relaxing at their condo.

Like a lot of us, the year has been hectic for Rose and Arthur Frazier in Ocala. Lots of medical appointments, continuing education classes, and TOPS.   They are happy to report that their son, Tim, is working at Lowe’s and Michael’s at night.   Arthur has been out metal detecting but hasn’t found much of value, yet. Rose won two metal detectors at different events, Enabling her to join Arthur in the fields and beaches. They are staying as active as they can and hope to do some traveling soon outside of Florida. They are really enjoying living in Ocala and getting to see Rose’s family and high school friends. 

Denny and Helen Maljevac are doing well and say they have nothing to report.

Source: Aerograph February 2021

The Chapter's scheduled DEC meeting/annual Christmas party was cancelled due to concerns over COVID.  However, thanks to Governor DeSantis our state is open and up and running. Of course, masks are required along with social distancing.  It's not ideal, but it beats being quarantined in our homes.  Our hope is the vaccine works and our country returns to some semblance of normalcy. My requests for inputs to this edition of the Aerograph have apparently gone unnoticed.  Sorry about that. My guess is most of our membership is hunkering down and have nothing to input.  Hopefully, we will do better in June.  In the meantime, this is all we have to offer.

Larry and Nancy Warrenfeltz quarantined for two weeks before going to Pennsylvania to spend Christmas with their son Jim and his family.  It was wonderful family time --- staying home, playing board games, reading, telling PaPa jokes, watching football, and lots of laughing. They got their first round of vaccine shots in January and are more than eager to get on with life.  With the high school softball season opening in February, and with plans for a full season in Florida, Larry has been busy training umpires across the state via Zoom webinars.  God Bless America, and Let's Play Ball!

Larry and Nancy with grandkids Nathaniel, Chloe and Madeline

Pat and Libby O'Brien have been busy with family.  In November, Pat's youngest son, Sean, and his four children visited from Virginia Beach. The O'Briens rented a very nice home on Santa Rosa Sound at Pensacola Beach for the week.  The kids loved it and a good time was had by all.  The following week, Libby's oldest daughter, Sandy, rented the same unit for another four days.  Her two children and seven grandchildren came from Ohio and Colorado for Thanksgiving.  All told, there were sixteen of us sitting around the Thanksgiving table.  After Christmas, the O'Briens traveled north to Callaway Gardens.  The trip was in celebration of their 26th wedding anniversary Pat continues to golf, fish, and work at his church as a member of the green team.  That's a nice way of saying, "He mows the grass, pulls weeds, and keeps the flower gardens up."  Pat had a few dizzy spells recently and made an appointment with his cardiologist.  He's now wearing a heart monitor to see if there is any connection.


Pat considers this occurrence as just another one of the joys of being OLD.


Submitted by Pat O’Brien, Sec/Treas.

Submitted by Pat O'Brien, Sec/Treas.